I did NOT pay a bribe : Electronics City RTO, Bangalore

I have read about numerous incidents reported on the cyber space about bribes in Bangalore. In one statistic, it was reported that Bangaloreans pay the most bribes. I do not think that Bangalore city is the most corrupt city in India. I have seen worse, but I find that the people here are extremely impatient. Hence the need to get things done quickly and out of turn, encourages bribes.

I also started impatiently and wanted a driving license without any hassle. I looked around for touts and agents, but two of my friends convinced me to just go and apply for the same. They told me it was simple and it really turned out to be a no hassle deal.

On 21st October, I went to Electronics City , RTO and took my learners license test. While there was a hitch in the online application form, I picked up another form there, filled it up and took the exam. I scored the requisite marks and they asked me to pick up the learners license in 4-5 days . I could take the driving test a month later.

There was a slight problem. I was to travel to the US and wanted my driving license ASAP (impatient as always) and so I went to the ARTO to ask him if something could be done. I showed him my earlier license copy (the original was stolen) and he said that I could take the driving test a month later and he'll arrange for the license to be handed over in 2 days. That was about all the time I had : 1 month and 5 days !! I was encouraged but not convinced.

A month later I reached the RTO office to take the exam. I was apprehensive as the driving school agents run the whole show there and schedule the driving tests. It was again a cool affair with the front inquiry desk being very helpful, and pointing the whole procedure to me. One guy was so helpful, he had a stapler and glue-stick in his pocket and was lending it to anyone (which is everyone) who needed it. Got the biometrics done, got the car papers checked and I was all set to take the test.

I took a deep breath, and went to the road where the exam was being conducted. There were 3 cars ahead of me. The inspector asked me to join the queue and when my turn came, asked me take a U-turn, drive a little ahead and that was it. I was done !!

As luck would have it, the ARTO I had talked to earlier was in a training and I couldn't wait for the DL to be sent by mail which they said could take as much 2 months . So I approached the senior RTO officer and explained my whole case to him. Initially he looked reluctant but then he called a clerk and asked him to help me get the license by the next day. The clerk agreed after a little hesitation and asked us to come the next day . He even gave his phone number so that we could confirm before going to the RTO.

As promised, next evening the DL was ready, everyone was helpful and there were no expectations of a bribe, overt or covert . I was amazed and proud to have interacted with honest officials in Bangalore.

I have been living in Bangalore for over 6 years, but today I felt really proud to be a Banglorean !!

Thank you RTO , Electronics City. You guys rock !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What if ...

Civic Sense

Child Space