Ear Piercing

I have been toying with the idea of getting Ananya's ear's pierced and one thing or the other has been coming up. Finally this weekend we got the nerve to do it. I had already inquired about the procedure and Manipal Hospital informed me that we could come any day between 2:30-4:30pm except Sundays. So this Saturday, myself and my Sister-in-law with her daughter went for the dual piercings. As we waited outside the girls played and created a ruckus and we tried to keep it down. Finally it was our turn, the doctor asked us to come, Ananya tripped along and Akshi waited outside.

As she sat in the chair in anticipation she was clearly excited, not aware of the pain she was just about to go through. The doctor who came in asked me to mark the points where we wanted the piercings and I did it for him. And then he brought out the gun for the same. The nurse had told us 5 piercings had happened this morning and all was well.

As he pierced the right ear, Ananya wailed in pain not prepared for the magnitude of the pain. But the worst wasn't over yet. The gun got stuck and the stud got stuck in the gun. As the doctor tried to pull out the gun, the stud too came out and I could see the red spot where the piercing had happened. Try as he might, he couldn't get the stud out. Finally he pulled out the stud and the gun and Ananya was bawling. She didn't want her ears pierced anymore.

At the back of my mind, I was thinking of Akshi and what she must think as she hears Ananya bawl in the doctor's room. We thought we'd do the left ear now and come back to the right one later. It took a lot of convincing to get her to agree to get it done and within a second it was over. Finally we came to the right ear and Ananya wouldn't let anyone touch it. I decided to put in the stud myself as the piercing was already done. She let me do it, but I couldn't push it through, I was scared of hurting her again. Finally the nurse did it and we were done. She went out bawling and as soon as she saw Akshi, she told her it was very painful.

Akshi still went along not fully comprehending the message Ananya had given her, she was still excited about the prospect of wearing earrings. Hers went off without a hitch and finally we were out with both the girls bawling. They forgot their pain as they watched the rabbits outside Manipal Hospital. They agreed that they needed to eat a chocolate cake at the nearest Coffee Cafe Day, to get their strengths back.

One pink rose and one pastry each for the girls and a few samosas for us and we were pretty much okay. Today the girls are excited about their earrings again and yesterday's pain is just a story.

Comments

Henna Tangri said…
Awwww I miss all this Di... You remember when I came to Bangalore, and just before heading towards the airport we were looking for something in the bazaar and Anni fell with her high heels on (which anyway you warned her at home about how she will hurt herself wearing them).....There came such a cute little demand " I will be ok if I eat Cafe Coffee Day's Chocolate pastry Mama" Love u Anniii and miss u sooooo much :))

Popular posts from this blog

What if ...

Civic Sense

Child Space